Thursday, June 4, 2009

Personal Space

I knew it would happen eventually but I just didn't expect it to be so soon…

Last night at softball I headed over to the other teams bench to perform my pre-game captain duties. We tossed a coin, discussed start time and I informed them that as I'm almost 6 months pregnant I'll have a pinch runner.

Pretty immediately a woman's hand shot out and she actually rubbed my belly! When her teammate gave her a hard time she stated, "I'm a mother, I'm allowed too." She then proceeded to give me a second rub. I was in shock!

I know I've given you no proof of this but I really don't look pregnant enough for people to touch me like that! I just barely started to wear maternity clothes.

Prior to the incident I've given a little thought as to how I would handle moments just like this and was fully prepared to make the rubber feel as awkward and as uncomfortable as I would but when it came down to it I was in too much shock to say anything at all. I just looked down a little bewildered and then wandered back to my bench.

I'll have to do a little more preparation for the next time, belly rubs from complete strangers are not okay! Being a mother does not change that.
L

1 comments:

Jenn said...

How horrible. Better get used to it, I guess. Or get some quick reflexes so you can slap their hand away.

I love seeing the baby growing; it actually looks humanoid now.